Since we have been home most of the summer due to COVID-19, I've been enjoying baking more than usual. I am so excited to be sharing one of my favorite berry inspired recipes with you!
BONUS: At the bottom of this post, four of my talented friends are sharing their Favorite Berry Recipes too! Be sure to check them out!
Naked cakes are one of my favorite things to bake! This raspberry infused lemon one is perfect for summer as it is light and not overly sweet.
Treat your family at the next gathering or surprise someone with a homemade cake for their birthday or special event! I'm sure you already have most of the ingredients needed on hand.
For the cake:
- 6 tbsp soft butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 7 1/3 tbsp soft butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Lemon curd
- Raspberry spread
Pâtisserie note: The recipe makes a two layer cake, so you will need to make two batches of batter for this four layer cake.
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees. Grease two cake tins and lay wax paper on the bases.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a freestanding mixer until light in colour and fluffy.
- Add the beaten egg and mix.
- Sieve the flour and add alternately with the milk to the mixture. Add the salt, vanilla and lemon extract. Lastly, fold in the baking powder.
- Divide the batter between the tins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Insert a cake tester and if it comes out clear, the cakes are done. Allow the cakes to cool on wire racks.
For the vanilla icing:
- Beat the butter in a freestanding mixer until it whitens.
- Sieve icing sugar and add it to the butter. Beat until well mixed.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract. Beat until the icing is light and creamy.
Mix lemon curd, raspberry spread and vanilla icing below and spread evenly between the layers.
Have you ever made a naked cake? When frosting, don't stress about getting it absolutely perfect.
The imperfections in the frosting are what makes a naked cake so beautiful. For summer, I love adding fresh mint, lemons and berries to the top and sides of the cake.
Any extra fruit can be added to the tablescape as well.
Slice and ENJOY!
I recently found this patisserie cake holder at The Big Red Barns and I love it for storing fresh baked goods!
I hope you will give this recipe a try! Be sure to check out my talented friend's recipes below as well!
|Holly’s Best Blackberry Crumble Recipe||Shawna's Delicious Summer Strawberry Rhubarb Pie|
|Holly's Raspberry Vodka Spritzer with Mint||Lory’s Mini Blackberry Cobbler|